Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Idle prattle is a matter of opinion

“Yes, on land it’s much preferred for ladies not to say a word, and, after all, dear, what is idle prattle for? They’re not all that impressed with conversation. True gentlemen avoid it when they can. Yet they dote and swoon and fawn on a lady who’s withdrawn, and it’s she who holds her tongue who gets her man!”

Ursula
The Little Mermaid (1989)


Most people don’t think this anymore. Notice it’s the villain saying it here. Regardless. I thought I’d just mention how much I absolutely, positively, and holistically loathe being told to be quiet. If you tell me to shut up, I’m probably going to hurt you. (Unless I deserve it, and sometimes I do.) This either means that I have too much adoration for my own vocality (my word), or that I really, really hate being stifled. Maybe both. What do you think?

No comments: