Friday, November 21, 2008

Welcome to Awkwardsville.

It doesn't matter what you do in the bedroom as long as you don't do it in the street and frighten the horses. ~Mrs. Patrick Campbell

Yes, I just used that quote. I used it because I am dealing with this right now. Not directly, of course.

I have been sexiled.

In case you're unfamiliar with the term, the Urban Dictionary defines sexiled as "When politely asked or forced from one's room in order to create the private atmosphere most roommates need for coitus with their special friends. Incidentally, it is what I am right now." I'm not joking. That's how it's defined. Go check out http://www.urbandictionary.com/ if you don't believe me. (It's not a site that tends to use pleasant language, but it's very popular around here.)

My roommate's boyfriend is over for the weekend. I really do love her, and I really can't blame my sexile entirely on her...she meant no harm; she thought I'd be out of town from Friday until Monday because I was going to my grandmother's house. Except I'm not out of town from Friday til Monday. I'm out of town from Saturday monday until Sunday afternoon. But I didn't realize that our ideas of "Katherine is leaving" differed, and at this point, I have no wish to crash her weekend. Or sleep three people in a room with two beds. Awkward. Intensely awkward. So instead, I'm letting her think I am out of town, and after being in the library for a little while I realized I didn't want to spend eight hours in the library and now I'm sitting in the Hearth Lounge at Moselely. There are plugs here for my laptop, so I'm pretty content with it, plus I can people watch and get refills on my Cherry Coke. Tonight I'm going to be sleeping in the lounge upstairs, which is ironically enough DIRECTLY above my room, and cutting into my own bathroom via my suitemates' door (the rest of the dorm is aware of my unfortunate predicament, and fully supportive, although they seem to think it's rather humorous. Which it is. Only not if you're the one sleeping on the couch with only a few blankets when it's snowing outside. And I'm serious about the snow, too. Frozen precipitation is in today's weather forecast, and it was white when I woke up this morning).

Now, I would feel guilty about putting this out there online except that Mama already knows about it and I'm certain that there aren't any children reading this. My roommate does not know about this blog. In fact, only Mama and Aunt Tonnye and maybe Aunt Brett read this, so I'm pretty sure I'm not going to end up with the horrid publicly-spilling-all roommate award.

I would be doing a bit better if I hadn't been inadvertently banned from Facebook. See, my roommate and I are obviously Facebook friends, and seeing as how she thinks I'm driving home right now, it would look rather odd if she checked her Facebook and saw all this FB activity. For one thing, I haven't any internet in my car. So instead I'm restricted to messaging. Not being able to change my status every fifteen minutes is seriously killing me, you don't even understand. However, FB exile should be lifted around six, because that's when I usually get home, so that's the limit I set for myself. In the meantime, I think I'm going to blog again. I have a really good topic that's been in the back of my mind for a while. :]

Sigh. I can't WAIT for tomorrow morning. Being sexiled is about as much fun as having class on Monday and Tuesday when so many other colleges are out for Thanksgiving already, or doing the writing part of my Global powerpoint.

In other words, it's rotten.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

haha. waiting for the amendment. :-)

Brett Winn said...

Katherine,

A most amusing post ... and what a most patient, long suffering not to mention under-appreciated roommate you are!

Can't wait to see you on Thursday!