Wednesday, October 6, 2010

This time it's SO not my fault

Entire new continents can emerge from the ocean in the time it takes for a Web page to show up on your screen. Contrary to what you may have heard, the Internet does not operate at the speed of light; it operates at the speed of the Department of Motor Vehicles.
--Dave Barry

Once again, I am forced to admit that I am capital-A Awful at promptly posting pictures and stories and such. It's been about a week since I got back to the university, and do you see anything new and interesting up?

I do have a reason this time, though. Our internet here has been running at about the same speed as summertime in Alabama. It takes twenty minutes to watch a three-minute video on YouTube, because seventeen are devoted to buffering. iTunes is sluggish. It takes multiple tries to pull up Etsy and CNN. At first I was worried there was something wrong with my laptop--then I heard about seven other girls in this building mentioning how slow the internet has been this week.

Blogger's picture-uploading services are spotty even under the best of conditions, and it's been taking me forever to load pictures regardless of the day, so with the internet in its current condition, I can only upload one picture at a time. And not that I don't care about this blog or anything, but that takes hours. Homework and eating and socializing and the general pursuit of happiness kind of trumps that. Hopefully things will be better soon, and I'll catch up.

As a completely unrelated but interesting fact, there are currently about six kids sitting on the ground under my window howling at the sky. I'm shocked by their state of drunkenness at 11:30 on a Wednesday night, but it is kind of funny, so ah, well.

No comments: