Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Procrastination

"If you want to make an easy job seem mighty hard, just keep putting off doing it."
--Olin Miller

Mr. Miller is right.

Also, this is how my papers always get done--the hard way. This particular one I'm working on at the moment isn't due for another seventeen hours (and it's only a six/seven-pager to start with), but I just so don't want to actually buckle down and write it. It's even an interesting prompt!

"Having considered many of the cultural aspects that influenced the development of British children's fiction, you may explore at least two of the primary texts from the course alongside comparable texts of your choice from international children's fiction ('comparable' may indicate: by era, by theme, by readership etc.--you must define your terms). Pay close attention to the impact of differences and/or similarities in cultural influences on these fictions."

I'm comparing Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll with The Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum, The Railway Children by E. Nesbit with Little Women by Louisa May Alcott, and Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone by J.K. Rowling with The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan. I did some computer magic and got Elon's databases to work even off of Elon's internet connection (don't worry, nothing was hacked--there are instructions for this on the Belk Library website for students who live off-campus and professors to use. I'm currently living about as far off-campus as I can get, so it applies), so I have academic sources to quote. I have the topic neatly typed at the top of my sheet, I have my coversheet filled in, and I already set up the page number function.

It's just writing the paper that's the long part. Even though I'm abroad with nothing else interesting to be doing.

And I just ran out of Nutella. Bah, humbug.

(Quick, name THAT children's book.)

No comments: